Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Wednesday, October 31, 2007

Trick-or-Treating Fun!



Today was a great day for us here. This is the first year that Dane has really started to understand the concept of Trick-or-Treating. I was a little concerned at first because we had bought white tights to go under Dane's costume. I was a little afraid that I might be scarring him for life, since, as I was putting them on him, he started crying, "No thanks, Mom! No thanks!" Lately, when he gets upset or embarrassed, he runs to the corner of the dining room and sulks, and that is what he did after I got his costume on. However, he started coming around to the idea of it once I showed him how he will get candy in his basket. So, no harm done, I don't think!

From 3:30 to 5:30, all of the merchants in downtown Kilgore passed out candy to the kids. They blocked off most of the downtown streets, and there was a huge turnout from the town. We met our friends Holly and her daughter Winter, so that Dane and Winter could walk around together. They both went as M&M's, Winter as the green dark chocolate one, and Dane as the blue almond one. They were really cute together. One of the highlights of our experience there was getting candy from the biker dudes at the motorcycle shop. Dane really liked that, especially when he saw a motorcycle parked on the sidewalk. He walked away making motorcycle noises! Then, later on, upon spotting one of many Spiderman costumes, he screamed, "Mom, I found Spiderman! I found Spiderman!" I think he really liked seeing all of the different costumes.

After we got tired of waiting in line and walking around downtown, we took the kids to McDonald's for a quick supper. As we got out of the car, Dane exclaimed that he needed to get his basket out. I had to explain that we weren't there for candy, just dinner. So, I guess he was beginning to get the idea of trick-or-treating.

Then, from 5:30-6:45, our church did a Trunk-or-Treat out on the front lawn and parking lot. The neighborhood that our church is in literally draws hundreds and hundreds of kids, so we thought it would be a good way to reach out to everybody. We had a lot of people participate, and we all had a great time!

After our evening service and Bible class, we headed over across the street to the home of one of our church members, who hosts a Halloween party every year.

So, once everything was all said and done, Dane and I had been trick-or-treating and partying for basically 4 hours, if you subtract the hour spent at church. We had a great time together, and it really brought back a lot of fun memories from when I was a little girl!

2 comments:

Holly Curry said...

Thank you for sharing the pictures! We had a great time too. I'm glad we are able to let the kids get togther.

Melissa Taylor said...

I love the m&m costume - when Morgan (our oldest) was one, she was a green m&m for Halloween. It was a great costume then & now - he looks so cute.