Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Sunday, September 13, 2009

Hawaii Vacation - Sept 13 - Kahuna & Akaka Falls

After we visited Rainbow Falls, we decided to go ahead and visit another waterfall. We headed for Akaka Falls State Park, and when we got there, we found out that we would get to see not one, but two, waterfalls there, Kahuna and Akaka Falls. The park is set up with a walking trail that makes a loop down from the entrance to Kahuna Falls, then over to Akaka Falls, and then back up around to the top where you start. I think that this is one of the most beautiful places on earth. The trees are massive, the plants are so lush, and the flowers are unbelievably vibrant and beautiful. I love flowers and plants, so this was such a pleasant surprise to be able to walk along and enjoy such amazing surroundings.
-
Off in a field, with the ocean in the distance, near the parking lot there, I spotted this unusual tree with a cross erected nearby. It was just so pretty, and I didn't notice it until we were actually on our way back to the car. We had had such a wonderful Sunday, with worship that morning, and then being able to witness the beauty and power of God through His creation all afternoon. This view just summed up an all around beautiful day and really put into perspective Who is always in control over everything in our lives and our world, His world created for our pleasure. What a blessing!




The next two are of Kahuna Falls


Dane, Caleb & me at Kahuna Falls

Sydni-walking along the path, and me, trying not to fall off the edge of the sidewalk. It's in my genes to try to sprain my ankles on trips, but thankfully, I escaped injury this time and also for the entire trip!

This is Akaka Falls - it is so big!

And, this is where I discovered my favorite way to take pictures of scenery. I like to look for flowers to put in the forefront of my scenic pictures. Lane laughs at me, but I think it makes taking the pictures all the more fun! You'll see a lot of it in posts to come, too, so look out for some amazing shots - Just kidding!



Enjoying a little break from walking while we watched Akaka Falls

That thumb is always so handy!

I think this is a funny picture - Dane was really starting to get worn out from the long walk, of which he and Caleb had led most of the way.

Here are some pictures of the beautiful and massive scenery we enjoyed along our walk to the falls.















Some closeups of some of the beautiful flowers we saw along our walk.




















This was a drive-way we saw on our drive to Akaka Falls. Isn't it neat looking?


And, of course, we ended our great day of adventures with a Hawaiian shaved ice in downtown Hilo, near where Caleb's school is, which is right on the coast. Caleb likes to make sure everyone knows that he will be the first person to know if there is a tsunami coming if it happens while he's at school because he would actually see it!

Just some pretty trees across the street.


After this, we headed back to Shayne & Billie's house and enjoyed Pizza Hut for supper! A perfect end to a perfectly beautiful day!

No comments: