Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Dane and his Financial Assets!


These pictures are in front of the bank right before we went in.



Dane, filling out his new account paperwork.


Dane had another first today...As of around noon today, he now has his very own savings account!


The other day, I was cleaning out a closet, and I found his chicken bank (a piggy bank that's a little baby chick). Dane is really into coins and learning the difference between all of the different coins right now, so I told him that we would start collecting his coins and put them in his chicken bank. Then, when it's all full, we'll take it to the bank like we do Mommy and Daddy's money.


So, anyway, today was payday, and we went through the drive-thru window at the bank to make a deposit, and Dane says, "Where's my chicken bank?" So, I turned to the bank teller and asked her if they had a savings account for children and what the minimum deposit was. She said they did, and it was $25. I then turned to Dane and asked him if he would like his own bank account. I loved his reaction - he gasped and his eyes got really big and said "Yeah!"


After we drove away, I told him we would go home, and that we would look around the house and finish filling up his chicken bank and then head back up to the bank to open his account. I figured that since he was showing so much interest in the idea today, that I'd better jump at the chance to make it really fun for him!

So, we just "happened" upon a vase in the house that had tons of change. It was funny how we went right to it :) We put all of the coins in his chicken bank and completely filled it up. We decided to keep the dollar bills in the vase, so that he can use them to give to God at church. He agreed with that idea, since the dollar bills weren't fitting in his chicken bank very well.

At the bank, the teller counted the change in the coin counter, and it totalled $32.99! We were very pleased, and I told him that I would also write him a check for $25, since his great-granddad had written him a check for his first Christmas and we didn't have an account for Dane back then yet. The new accounts lady was so sweet and gave him a "My Bank Account" coloring book that we worked on while she processed all of our paperwork.

Dane really seemed to enjoy the entire process, except he did get a little upset when his chicken bank came back empty. He was OK, though, after the bank lady gave him a new penny and quarter to start his new collection with.

A great adventure for my little investor! Maybe he'll take after his mother and become an Accountant some day, too!

1 comment:

The Timberframer's Wife said...

We are sure proud of him! Love y'all!