Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Sunday, July 27, 2008

Long Lost Cousins/New Friends/First Trip to Church

We have had a pretty busy weekend, filled with lots of firsts for our family.

Friday afternoon, Joe David, Stefany and Jed arrived in East Texas, on Jed's first roadtrip. Joe David had his 10 year class reunion this weekend, too, so it was a good time for them to come up for a visit. We fixed fajitas and enjoyed visiting and playing with Jed and Sydni. We had a cousin photoshoot. Unfortunately, Dane missed the photo opportunity. He and Granna were galavanting around Longview before they made it back to the house. I think that Jed was very impressed with his cousins, though. We like to joke that Jed is a very serious and judgmental little boy, and I think that Dane and Sydni passed his High Quality Cousin test with flying colors. I just hope that Mary Nan, Laura and J.J. were as lucky on their first visit with him on Saturday! I guess we'll have to check Robyn's blog for an update on their first visit with Jed. We had a great visit, though, and we hated that it had to end so soon.

Sydni & Jed




Saturday, Uncle Shayne, Aunt Billie, Aunt Kathy, and cousins Tyler and Caleb came to meet Sydni for the first time. One of my best friends, Joanna, along with her two boys, Nathan and Daniel, and her mom, Donna, came by for a visit, too. We all had a good hamburger lunch and enjoyed catching up and visiting.

Sydni & Uncle Shayne

Sydni & Aunt Kathy

Sydni & Joanna

Sydni & Donna

Dane & his new friends, Daniel & Nathan


Then, this morning, since Sydni and I have both been feeling well, we decided to go ahead and make today her first trip to church. I had bought a special dress just for today, but unfortunately, she is not as big as I had anticipated, so that dress will have to wait a while longer before she gets to wear it. Thankfully, Robyn had let me borrow a few special dresses that were her girls', and one of them is so pretty and is just Sydni's size right now. She and Dane were both so good in church today. Sydni paid attention and stayed wide awake and ate all through Bible class. She learned about the twelve apostles, and I'm sure she remembers everything she learned today. Then, she slept all through the worship service. Dane was so good in church. I am so proud of how he is doing. I was looking down at Sydni during church, and I remembered how I was brought to tears two Sundays ago, when I realized that it was the last time that it would be just Lane, Dane and me as our little 3-person family in church. Well, this morning, once again, I was brought to tears, as I realized how wonderful it felt to have my entire little 4-person family together in worship. I was holding Sydni with my left arm, as she slept, Dane was snuggled up on my right side, and my husband was sitting on my left side. This side of Heaven, I think those moments are some of the best one can experience here on Earth.


Our attempt at a family picture after church

On the flip side, as I close out this post, Lane and I just heard a breaking sound coming from Dane's room. Unfortunately, Dane threw a baseball at his window blinds, and yep, you guessed it, the window is broken! It's just a little portion of the bottom pane, so I think that Lane can tape it (yuck!) until we can replace it. On that note, I think I'll end this post!

4 comments:

The Timberframer's Wife said...

I wish we could have all been at the same place at the same time this weekend, but we sure enjoyed hearing about Jed's first meeting with Dane and Sydni from his point-of-view, and, yes, he can seem judgmental. I like to think he just has strong convictions and high expectations. Judging from the fact that your son is now a window-breaking thug and mine sleeps through church, maybe our family could use a grandson with convictions and standards. Sydni looks so sweet in the first time to go to church pictures--now that dress is three-times special. And you're right about those sweet moments when we realize just how precious life is right now. We sure are ready to see y'all! Love y'all!

Natalie said...

Sweet Sydni! Those church pictures are so cute. Tell Joanna we said hello. I went to high school with her hubby; small world! How is Dane adjusting to having a little sister (aside from taking his aggression out on windows)?

Holly Curry said...

Jed looks so serious!! I wonder what they are thinking!!

The Timberframer's Wife said...

Let's get some new pictures up.